The Long-Awaited 'First'

 After a year and more of not writing in this blog, I decided to give it a fresh start once again. I have been in Japan for almost three months now and feeling happy is an understatement. The 'firsts' that I have experienced and the friends that I made makes me beyond grateful.

However, whenever someone asked me what I wanted to do in Japan, never was I even exhausted to say I really, like, really wanted to try kimono. And by kimono I was not talking about the yukata type that people used in the summer, but rather the one with more intricate details and sleeves flowing down gracefully.

That chance finally came yesterday. On August 2nd, Wander Compass Shibuya held an event for a kimono experience event that I of course registered without any hesitation, and I was extremely looking forward to the day. 

Wander Compass Shibuya Office

Wander Compass Shibuya office is located in the Shibuya station which is very easy to access. Their place could be accessed by following the Dogenzaka Gate, but make sure that you do not exit the station area since it is still on the B1 level. The staffs welcomed me warmly before we started the event. Wander Compass Shibuya hub has a rather bright and also welcoming vibe to it, in which something that is ideal for a tourist information center.

Putting on the kimono
I got on a small part of tatami and then received explanation about the kimono that I was going to wear that time. The kimono has a purple color with a flower pattern, completed with a pink on some part of it. Compared to the regular kimono, the one I wore was the dress-up kimono, or the kimono you used for special occasion. And boy was I glad that my hijab color matched the kimono that day, haha.

Since it was only a simple event, I did not layer them with the others clothing that people usually use when they use kimono, but rather layer them on top of my outfit. The process was longer than how I usually put on a yukata and I think it is pretty obvious. But what amazed me was how intricate the details are on each folds and part of the outfit. Since I moved a lot in (which I feel sorry about,) they kindly fixed the folds every single time. And last part of the kimono is the obi, my favorite part of the outfit.

Yet another surprise came, ladies and gentlemen. They pulled out three sets of zori, which is the traditional sandals and bag sets for me to choose. T_T I went with the broken white one since I feel like it matched the kimono best.

With Kana-san~

After putting the zori on, it definitely is photo time. I took picture with Kana-san which is a Wander Compass Shibuya staff that also wears a simple kimono, and they also kindly took lots of pictures of me, where they showered me with compliments and I am so thankful for that. T_T 

A part of their hub
The photo time is then followed by a simple yet fun game. I am not sure whether they have a specific name for the game but we were using chopsticks to take the tiny pieces inside the bowl, and the one who succeed to take out all of the pieces is the winner. We played for two rounds and I am pretty sure Kana-san was being easy on me since I won, hehe. They then gave me chopstick as the prize, yay!

Since I did not want to ruin the pretty kimono, I asked them to take it off before I went around and asked them questions, as well as giving myself a quick tour of the Wander Compass Shibuya office.

Their office in general has lots of informative pamphlet and flyers that tourists could utilize during their time in Japan. Not only that, they have money exchange machine. For travelers that does not want to go around with their luggage, Wander Compass Shibuya also have a luggage storage with a very affordable price.

In addition, they also have the concept of TOMODACHI GUIDE in which the type of tour that I highly prefer. The TOMODACHI GUIDE literally means 'friend guide', where they offer the service of guided tour that feels like you are hanging out with a friend rather than the uptight and strict tour.

The friendly staff of Wander Compass Shibuya
While I was there, there were several people coming in and out, whether it is using their services or merely asking for directions, and they were really helpful and kind

Overall, it was a nice and memorable experience for me since it has been something I have wanted to do for a long time, and I am extremely grateful to Wander Compass Shibuya for holding the event, giving me yet another 'first'. 



Learn more about Wander Compass Shibuya here!

A picture with everyone~

Komentar

Postingan Populer